Wednesday, October 8, 2008

La Iglesia

So, I'll definitely give a more indepth update on other things in my life in the future, but I thought i'd share with you how things are going in my life regarding fellowships and churches. It's just happens to be the main thing on my mind right now since I just got back from fellowship.

Something I learned from my experience in New York is that church hopping is somewhat detrimental if you're only living somewhere for 2-3 months. As a result, I went to my first church this past Sunday and have decided to stick with it. It's a church called Reach (part of the Vineyard Church Movement), and their motto is "Church for the Real World". I liked the people, the direction the church was headed, and the worship, so i've decided to stick with it. They really emphasize creative worship too, which really resonated with my passion and curiosity.

As for fellowships, there's something called Christian's Union here, which is pretty much Intervarsity for the UK. Seriously, it's part of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students, which is the overarching global group that IV fits under as well. I wasn't planning on joining a Bible study, committing more to the church small group instead, but like a naive freshman desperate to belong, I told the Small group leader of my hall i'd attend next week because he was nice to me... oy. It should be good though, meeting people frequently precedes academics while studying abroad anyway.

So yeah, that's about it. One more interesting fact is that Church and State are NOT separated here. It's really quite interesting, and i'm not sure why I didn't question it before. As a result, you have these organizations/buildings called Chaplaincies where religious groups can rent space etc. We had our fellowship at the chaplaincy tonight. good stuff.

Ok, that's it for now. On saturday I'm going to take a journey through the city and take pictures (mainly because of Natalie's FB wall post). so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Beka said...

yayy, thanks for posting! i'm going to ireland this weekend so when i come back i'll post too!

Benjamin Wolf said...

haha, cool dan

yay for Bible study in the UK :)

Natalie <3 said...

i'm staying tuned for those pics!
im so glad you found a bible study! i have not been so lucky yet. keep us posted chap!