Sunday, October 12, 2008

Breaks and animals

Haha i get spring break twice this year. Ive been having lots of fun in australia. I have 3 weeks of class left... trust me, it passes by quickly. Enjoy the time you have left, no matter how cliche that sounds. Going along with amy, i can't believe how blessed I am to have this opportunity. Over the past week or two, i went to the beach to take a surfing lesson with someone from my small group. That went pretty well, it was really fun and I can now stand on a surfboard for a couple seconds before i faceplant into the water now. I think i will buy a surfboard when i get back into the states. I am really glad i finally got to see blue water, as much as i like north carolina, the beaches kind of suck. Then a couple days later i went back to the beach again with my housemates and that was really fun getting to know them more and hanging out. Its about a hour and a half journey to the beach by public transportation so its pretty easy to get there.

Today i went to the lone pine koala sancutary, basically a zoo. There were a lot of koalas but you couldnt touch them, they're pretty boring anyways they dont really do anything. But there were other animals there like kangaroos and emus. Those two are really cool and entertaining to hang out with. They are really over exposed to humans so they are really friendly (by friendly i mean they want your food) so it was cool being able to play with them. I think i really like animals and i think that after dealing with my psycho german shephard, im not really afraid of other animals biting me so it was cool befriending the emu.

The weather is starting to get warm, but it was cloudy the past couple of days so it was really nice not being hot(no ac).

In other news, my sister is having to apply to college right now so i've been dealing with that and helping writing her recommendations for her counselor, and ive discovered that recommendations are really hard to write, and i don't know my sister as well as i would like. We have a weird relationship, i'm more of a parent than a brother to her, so its been more of taking care of her than getting to know her really well emotionally. When we talk its more about getting down to business, what do you have to do, what do you need, do you need any help etc. So when i have to write about her quality traits and what is great about her, it takes more thought on my part to convey why i think i have a great sister.

I miss you guy! Cant wait to live together!



Emu I befriended, he followed me around for a bit, mostly because i fed him.

I was pretending the kangaroo was dan.
Emu was jealous i was feeding the peacock

Part of the city at dusk.
Gold coast, surfer's paridise beach

7 comments:

DCBuddy said...

Man, Australia looks wicked! and i'm jealous you only have 3 weeks left of class. thanks for the update, i really enjoyed it.

Benjamin Wolf said...

i think the kangaroo has dan beat...

have fun eric! make connie help your sister... :)

Beka said...

wow, australia looks awesommeee

i'm also excited to live together!!

Fred said...

what up playa?!

Natalie <3 said...

eriquito! i laughed so hard when i read the paragraph about petting animals. you can tell me all about it when we're neighbors !!

Amy said...

I want to play with the animals too! :) Not FAIR!

Hsu Boy said...

great pics eric. i like the emu haha.

lovely surfing too?

-greg