Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cool Things British People Say (Episode 1)

I thought i'd start posting on this as to prepare any Dukies from being completely shocked and confused at these uncommon words coming from my mouth in the Spring. I'm seriously lacking in creativity right now, so i'll just jump right into it. *note: i'll post these in order of my fondness for them*

(1) major : what a fabulous word! I've run across it a few times while speaking with the people here. Essentially, it can replace the words awesome, cool, sweet, and wicked when you're really happy about something.

Ex: Friend: dude I just saw Miley Cyrus, she's coming to Duke next year! You: That's Major!!

(2) well : a simple and yet effective replacement for the word "very" in our language. If someone tells you about something good and you are pleased, though not amazed, but want to make the person feel good about themselves, you can insert this word to get the right effect.

Ex: Friend: Dude, i just made the best cake in the world! You: That's well good, mate.

(3) proper : A quaint word that sort of means "as it should be", commonly used to describe food. Yeah, I can't really think of a time this word came up outside of food conversations.

Ex: You: I just had a proper breakfast.

That's it for now, stay tuned (if there's anything else I stumble upon and like)..

3 comments:

Beka said...

i'm shattered = i'm tired

Benjamin Wolf said...

Miley Cyrus? ...... :)

haha, yay dan

jay_so said...

haha COOL!