Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cool Things South Africans Say!

So stealing Dan's idea...I thought I would put up a few South Africanisms that I fully intend to bring back to the States!!

1. How'zit.
translation: "How's it going?"
Used as a statement and form of greeting.

2. Is it!
translation: "is that so!" "really!"
A transformation of a question into a statement of incredulity.

Ex. "I bought a skirt for just 49 Rand!"
"Is it!"

3. Lekker, man!
translation: "awesome" "great" "really cool"

Ex. "This food is lekker, man!"

4. Shame...(usually followed by clucks and head shaking)
translation: "thats a shame..."

Ex. "Did you hear? Bafana Bafana (the SAfrican soccer team) lost again."
"Shame..."


Thanks for the idea Dan! I promise to make a real post sometime... :)

5 comments:

DCBuddy said...

hahaha. I really like lekker, thanks for sharing (:

Eric Chow said...

you better update us!

Eric Chow said...

hint hint ;)

Beka said...

hahahha that's awesome

Natalie <3 said...

click pop pop.