Monday, July 14, 2008

Australian update

Hello friends
Here is an update (long rant) on my time and thoughts so far in Australia. I think that above all else I am feeling frustrated. Mostly due to not meeting anyone, so I have been sitting in my single room a lot. I am living off campus at an apartment so it is kind of hard to meet people, although the people living at the complex are all students. There just doesn’t seem like there is a lot of chances to hang out with the residents. I kind of just wish that I came here with someone I k new so it wouldn’t be so weird. Besides that I am also frustrated with the way Australians do internet. They give you a download quota so that if you go over that limit, they reduce your speed by a lot, but this morning my internet at home just wouldn’t go to pages other than university home pages, which was really frustrating for me because… all I’ve been doing is surfing the internet. The internet rates are also a little ridiculous, its about 150$ for a 55gb quota with dsl speeds, and that’s shared with around 7 people I think.
I guess I am just having a lot of doubts about being here, and wondering why I chose to study abroad alone and I even looked into going back to duke for the semester. But as much as I want to go back to my comfort zone, I realize that it’s a rare opportunity for me to start over without knowing anyone, so I’m learning to trust God more. If nothing else, its only 4 months. It seems like it is duke’s freshman orientation again where people just go out every night.
In other news, I went to a church last Sunday and they were really welcoming so that was nice. It was a hope for bisbane church, so I am thinking I will go back next week.

edit: my internet at my apt works again, yay!

4 comments:

Beka said...

awww, chowchow, katie howe once told me that studying abroad in chile was one of the loneliest times in her life but it really allowed her to be able to kind of rest and think and pray... skype with me some time! email me a time you want to do it, and i'll be praying for youuu!!

DCBuddy said...

just keep pushin man. If you have time, see if you can hang out with my friend Naomi Watts. She should be over there...somewhere...

Eric Chow said...

dan i had no idea who that was, so i searched her on facebook and shes a celebrity

Benjamin Wolf said...

yeah, eric, even on a M trip surrounded by other friendly Christians, there were definitely times for me when I just wanted to be with my friends from home/Dook

I hope it's been getting better