Sunday, May 24, 2009

semi-update

I am unfortunately NOT caught up with the reading, but I decided I'd just write a short update. So...and now my mind is not working. Alrighty, so the 50 summer program kids (duke and rutgers) arrived last weekend, and I got to meet some of them while we did a 6-hr. bike tour of Berlin. It was a very nice surprise to see Tomi at our reststop at a Biergarten. :) I had no idea she'd be coming. It looks like the summer program doesn't coincide very well with our semester program schedule, so I'll have to be very intentional to see her again.

I recently have felt really weird around my host mom. After spraining my ankle kind of badly from basektball Tuesday night, I got home knowing that my host mom had worked all day and wouldn't want to talk, but I thought she'd probably still respond if I asked a question. Seeing that she was still up, I called her name, but all she did was start to close her door. I thought, maybe she didn't hear me, so I called out again, and she just shut her door all the way. I felt kind of abandoned after that, but knew there was nothing else I could do. The next day she actually seemed kind of annoyed that I'd hurt myself, but wrote down numbers for me to call to make an appointment. Things seemed to be fine for the next few days, but then yesterday she gave me a lecture about how I'd get sick from sitting in my room all day and that it's not a smart thing to do. I don't know why this should really affect me so much, but I think the sequence of events put together made me even more emotionally sensitive. I thought I'd already be used to this bluntness after almost 5 months, since I get to experience this a lot from my host sister, but somehow I'm not. Part of the reason might be that I forget where my value lies (in God).
Oy, this post seems very unorganized.

I don't have too many interesting recent pictures, but here's one of a lion pulling at a piece of meat that I saw up close at the Zoo on Friday. It's sad how these big cats got such small cage areas. We hypothesized optimistically that they were just in these cages for feeding.