Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's Mother's Day!

Hi e'rybody! I've been a bit of a slacker with this blog, I know. I made sure to NOT slack off in wishing my mom a happy mother's today though. Don't forget that today's Mother's Day! Let your mom feel appreciated. =)

So first with thoughts about Chapter 7 "Isn't the Bible Sexist?" It was a good reminder of how Jesus wasn't a sexist, but I didn't find it as convincing when the book addressed other issues. I couldn't figure out why it was so important to see the possibility of a fellow prisoner of Paul's being a female apostle. In the quoted verse as well as in the verse in my Bible, the male name was used, which seems to me that the majority of scholars believed the prisoner was male. Also, I don't see where it says that Paul told women to be silent in church and not ask questions (1 Cor. 14:28) because there was a problem with chatting. After looking at the other controversial passage (1 Tim. 2:12) and keeping in mind that Paul did mention Phoebe as a deaconess, I still have problems taking that in. And I got doubly confused with a following verse about how women will be saved through childbearing. o_0 Ack, I still have questions. Thoughts?

Another short update: Due to having Friday off for Labor Day, Justine, Rebecca, and I went to see Neuschwanstein (the castle Disneyland was based on) in Fuessen, Germany and got to go to Salzburg as well. Salzburg is where the Sound of Music's supposed to take place and where many of the shots were filmed. You guys should wiki The Sound of Music to read a few hilarious liberties the director & co. took with the story. (; After much debate, we decided to go on the Sound of Music tour, which was pretty cool because our tour guide was so awesome. The next day while resting during a short hike up a nearby mountain, I got on the topic of religion with Justine somehow and got to share my testimony! What I thought was really cool was that just the week before in home group, I shared mine for the first time in a long while. I see that incident as a kind of prep for my talk with Justine because my faith story came out more easily than I thought it would. For background, Justine grew up having to go to Catholic school to get confirmed, but didn't have anything to do with the church after that. She views religion very skeptically because she's seen all sorts of people back home who call themselves Christians and then drink and party during the week. She also feels like religion brings more problems than help. I feel like I chickened out when she asked if I thought she'd go to hell. I just answered that I don't really know how God's going to judge and then she said, "I feel like no one really knows what's going to happen after they die, and that people are Christians because they don't want to go to hell." So, anyway, it was an interesting conversation for me, and I don't know how it affected Justine, but PTL that God placed me there to show my friend another side of Christianity.
Another highlight was seeing the largest ice caves in the WORLD! :) I know I'm fortunate.

Congratulations all you 2009-ers! I will miss you dearly.

2 comments:

emily said...

the "so you think i'm going to hell?" conversation is a really difficult but loving one to face, sabrina, so i'm really happy that you had a chance to have that (and to share your testimony. wow). we talked a little about it in the good news track at rockbridge, and our track leader pointed out that a) we -must- be firm about Jesus tells us that he is the only way to the Father (john 14:6) and b) it is more important to emphasize how Jesus offers the grace of the cross to everyone.

God is working. i'm excited for you :D

btw, i've never thought about having to sing near a helicopter. heh.

sabrina said...

this is a late reply, but thank you Emily for sharing/commenting. =) I'll be sure to keep it in mind.