Saturday, March 21, 2009

the first!

I guess I'll share my thoughts first since you guys are probably still sleeping right now. Before I share about the book though, I'd like to write down something I was thinking about earlier this week.
Last Friday (a week ago) was my first time at a homegroup here. After an icebreaker question, we began to worship. I was very conscious about the words we were singing like "Your will controlling my every move" or something along those lines, and I wondered, why are the German people here okay with singing this? Don't they think of the Nazis/WWII or the Stasi? As I thought about it some more the next day, I realized another factor that played into what attitude they have is their age. The people in my home group are around 30 or younger I think, which means it's possible that they didn't have too much firsthand experience of a divided Germany (I have a feeling the Germans in our group also grew up in the West). The history might still play a role for other young people who aren't Christian though. Anyway, just thought that was interesting.

So, on with the book. I felt very illiterate while reading the first chapter ("Isn't It All A Matter of Interpretation?"). I couldn't really follow her argument about how language has no meaning unless God exists. When you guys wake up, would someone help explain that a little more? I'm sorry I'm not more specific with my confusion.
I also didn't see how the scenario she paints on pg. 24 isn't reality. HASN'T language changed over time and some meaning been lost to us due to living within a different context? Take for example old texts like Shakespeare. The average student can hardly understand his work without the footnotes and without having learned some background. Am I reading this wrong?

I am a confused girl.

2 comments:

sabrina said...

I forgot to add that I'll be leaving for a 5-day excursion to Weimar with the program on Monday and then leaving for a spring break trip to Vienna, Lucerne, and Venice the next day for a week, so I most likely won't be able to participate in this blog for the at least the next 2 weeks.

Jason said...

WHOA!!

you're doing so many cool things!! so much travel, i'm jealous!

i responded to some of your thoughts in my post :) thanks for sharing!