Sunday, July 5, 2009

deja vu

Marine Lab Part 3. Chiseled veteran. Rawr, I'm gonna skip orientation tomorrow. That's how veteran I am :D. I like how familiar salty-air smells now. I don't even notice the bad taste of the oceany water anymore either. Other than taking the highly anticipated marine mammals class, I'm excited, spiritually, to be back. At home, my prayer life was weak, my devotional life was marginal, and my focus was not on target at all. That's not to say God hasn't been at work though. I really feel like He put a LOT of things on my mind in the past 3 weeks about next year and other things. However, being at home puts me in too much comfort and complacency. Spending time with Duke people is very fun, yet time consuming with the commute.. It's weird how being at the marine lab changes things. Maybe it's due to my introverted nature, but when I'm away from my friends and family, I am more disciplined spiritually. I don't have distractions, and am forced to a regular sleep schedule. Instead of playing basketball, I read. Actually it might also be the set-up of our bunks.. They're really devo-friendly..


They're triple bunks, but I've always chose the bottom which is pretty much a mattress on the floor. There's a reading light at the head of the bed and a gap that's conveniently large enough to fit scrap notebooks, books, my bible, and my journal. Being a triple bunk made of wood, directly above me is a convenient place to tape papers and to write down prayer requests so I can't forget. I accidently left my lists taped on my bunk from last session.. I'm now living in the room next door (a bigger one.. so yay upgrade) but I wonder what will happen to the list. I haven't met the people yet. That'd be cool if they prayed. It might also be awkward to ask them for my list back..


Supposedly I only have class mon, wed, thurs.. which means.. 3 DAY WEEKENDS! which probably means I will be easily suckered into visiting Duke.. If my career paths fail I can always be a cab driver. I'm getting really good at driving unnecessarily long distances and keeping track of the gas prices in a 180 mile stretch.

No comments: